Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Learning to Be Content Regardless of the "WHAT-IFS" lesson 8

WHAT IF...
I lose my job
I run out of money
I get cancer
I don't have enough money to retire
I lose my sight
My husband dies or loses his job
My children don't succeed....

Our fears of the future often put us in a prison of doubt. Then we find that these thoughts control our every waking moment. Since my last posting I had an event in my life that I was beginning to fear the future. My retina became detached in my eye and I began to worry and fear "what if" I become permanently blinded. We have all had these doubts and fear arise in our lives, often on a daily basis. The key that unlocks the prison door of this fear and doubt is "PROMISE" the promises of God in His Word.

Where do these fears come from? They don't come from God. Satan uses many sources to attack us and cause us to doubt the promises of God. These sources may be people, problems, and perplexities. Let's look at a some of these.

People may leave us, reject us, or die. But God's PROMISES can quiet these fears. Look at Hebrews 13:5, 6 "I will never leave you, nor forsake thee. The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me." I have a friend, who are experienced this to it's fullest extent. Her husband left her, her grown son won't communicate with her, her daughter has moved away and doesn't have a phone. She is lonely, but has been seeking the Lord to fill that void. She is learning to lean upon her Savior to meet these needs and to fill that loneliness. This is a choice she is making, otherwise she would be miserable.

Problems - what problems are you dealing with that are causing you to be fearful? Look up Isaiah 26:3 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee; because he trusteth in thee." When we worry about problems we are not trusting God. You can replace fear with peace if we trust God. Now ask yourself, what makes more sense living in fear or living in perfect peace. Claim the PROMISES of God. I John 4:18 "There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fear." "Love in your heart frees you from fear; relates you to the Source of Life, God; and releases positive feelings to overcome hostility, redress wrongs, heal hurts, and build relationships. Love is the strongest fores int he world...It give you the winning advantage in all human contacts." (Morgan)


Possibilities - the what-ifs cause fear in your life. What if the thing you fear does take place? What is the worst thing that could happen? If you will trust in the Lord to care for you no matter what the possibilities you don't need to fear. Here is another PROMISE...Psalm 112:7-8 "They do not fear bad news; they confidently trust the Lord to care for them. They are confident and fearless." Here is another Psalm 57:7 "My heart is confident in you, O God; no wonder I can sing your praises! Wake up, my soul!" I encourage you to read the whole chapter.

Perplexities - Sometimes we don't understand why God allows certain things to happen in our lives. When we question "why God" Satan will play tricks with our mind and cause more fears and anxieties. Again we need to stand on the PROMISES of God and stand again the wiles of the devil. 2 Timothy 1:7 "For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline. This promise is worth standing on..."Remember, that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it. When you are tempted, He will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it." I Corinthians 10:13.

The Solution to Fear is believing God's PROMISES! Galatians 6: 8-10s give us encouragement to keep on going and living faithful for God trusting in His PROMISES "Those who live to please the Spirit will harvest everlasting life from the Spirit. So don't get tired of doing what is good. Don't' get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time. Whenever we have the opportunity we should do good to everyone.


Psalm 34: 4. "I prayed to the Lord, and He answer me, freeing me from all my fears "(what-ifs)! PRAY and believe the PROMISES of God. Trust God. God is your refuge. God will uphold you. Wait on the Lord. He will never leave you or forsake you. His love for you is an everlasting love.

I challenge you to read your Bible and underline every promise you see in a specific color. Then as you begin to feel as though you are wavering, start flipping through your Bible and stand on the PROMISES of God. With Christ we are more than conqueror! Contentment comes from our relationship to God and our confident trust in Him, not from our responsess or feelings to our circumstances or people.

You are not facing your fears alone - - - God is with you always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was a single mom of three yound childrenit was Jer 29L:11 the Lord gave me as an Anchor!!!We never missed a mealeven without child support....God got all the glory for being my husband and provider. Thanks for the reminder!
Love
Carol