Monday, January 7, 2008

Prayer is a Gift

PRAYER... Isaiah 40:31 "But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." Do you know and understand the awesome privilege you have in coming to the throne of God in prayer? Hebrews 4:16 "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." As God's child, you are invited to come boldly and freely to Him. There are many passage of Scripture that teach you how to pray as well as many examples of prayer. God has been challenging me for some time to do a study on prayer and to make time for more prayer in my personal relationship with Him. My husband is a wonderful example of a prayer warrior. I am amazed how often I find him sitting in various places and I ask what he is doing and the answer is always the same, "I needed to pray". So as I study, I would like to share with you the things I am learning in hopes that you too will be challenged to pray more and spend more time with your Savior.


Prayer is a privilege... You have a special personal invitation to come into the presence of the God of all creation. Not only an invitation, but you have an audience with God. 1 Timothy 2:5 "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus." What a privilege! What an honor. God desires you to come to Him. God's plan from the beginning was to commune or fellowship personally, individually with all His children. Do you desire Him as He desires you? My prayer, my spiritual challenge for this year is Psalm 73:25" Whom have I in heaven but thee? And there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee..." I long to make God my utmost desire.

The struggle with our fellowship with God began when Adam and Eve sinned in the Garden of Eden. Since that event, every person born has come into this world with a sinful nature. Romans 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned." Because of our sinfulness we struggle with rebellion and sadly enough the result of this rebellion brings emptiness.


Walk in the Light... I John 5:7 "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin." The separating wall that sin brings between you and your Savior can be torn down with a prayer. So what's holding you back? That rebellion caused by sin. Take the step of a prayer of confession. You will then know the fellowship of God, find your heart clean, experience new clarity and understanding of the Word, and the peace that passes all understanding. God is so good and loves us so much it is hard sometimes to even imagine. Make time to pray. Make time to "BE STILL" and quiet yourself before the Lord.


How will God resond when you come? Psalm 34:15-17 "The eyes of the LORD are upon the righteous, and his ears are open unto their cry. The face of the LORD is against them that do evil, to cut off the remembrance of them from the earth. The righteous cry, and the LORD heareth, and delivereth them out of all their troubles."

Let me encourage you to:

1. Get a prayer journal


2. Set aside a specific time for daily prayer


3. If you already have this time set - increase your time with God


4. If you need an accountability partner, prayer partner, find one





Prayer is the key to spiritual satisfaction and success


Prayer will become the source of power for your daily walk


Emptiness will be filled and overflowing with the love of God


Yield to God and seek to know Him intimately


Prayer is a gift from God that benefits your life




Recommended Bible Study Book:


"Draw Me closer, Lord" by Marsha Hubler Publised by Regular Baptist Press.


I am using this book as part of my study on prayer . See the link on this blog for Regular Baptist Press to order your copy.



1 comment:

Mark and Laura said...

Thanks for the encouragement to pray. That is one area that I struggle with the most in my walk with Christ and who knows why. I will strive to be better at spending time everyday in personal prayer.

I remember many times while I was growing up and I would walk by your bedroom and I would see dad on his knees in prayer. What a great example he has always been all throughout my life. I am so thankful to have parents who have prayed so diligently all my life and now I need to follow that example that you both have set.