Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Learning to Be Content in Every Circumstance Lesson 4

An Attitude of Gratitude...most everyone in our world knows the value of a grateful heart. It affects the daily outlook, it is a source of good health, and just overall well-being. There have been books written about how the attitude can change our whole life. With our children's Bible Clubs we ask the children for an "attitude check" to get their attention and then to direct that attention toward God. They shout together "PRAISE THE LORD!" What is your attitude today?



In the lesson this week, we are encouraged to look at Paul's writings in Philippians 4:12 where he has learned to have a grateful heart not only when the going was good, but when things were not so good either. It is easy to be thankful when things are good. But it is another whole issue when we are struggling with hardships. How do you give thanks when things are so hard? It isn't easy, but with the power of God who lives in us we can choose to be thankful for everything!



I love the quote from Matthew Henry in our lesson book, where he wrote the following in his diary after being robbed: "Let me be thankful first, because I was never robbed before; second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, let me be thankful that although they took my all, it was not much; and fourth, because it was I who was robbed and not I who robbed." A thankful heart is truly a choice!



I Thessalonians 5:18

"In everything give thanks;

for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."



God's desire for me is to a thankful heart...how can I argue with this good God desires for me? Does this have anything to do with living a life of contentment? I believe that this aspect our our life is vital to living a contented life. Being thankful in everything and all things. Read our memory verse again. No matter the circumstances we find ourselves in, we God desires us to be content.



Do you find it easier to find fault, complain and grumble? If you have a ungrateful heart discouragement and discontentment will overcome you. If a grateful heart is the path you choose to follow a contented life will come followed with peace and joy. If you having a hard time getting stated with a thankful heart, turn to Psalm 107 and see some things God wants us to be grateful for. Count your blessing, they are there if you choose to look for them. A good exercise to help determine your attitude is to make a chart and list your complaints and thanks. Your heart attitude will be revealed by the length of complaints vs thanks.



The Israelites while in the wilderness, had God visibly with them everyday. A cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. They saw the miracles of God's leading and provision on a daily basis. Yet they began to complain and grumble and were discontent with everything. This sin became a pattern and they grumbled and complained. Ungrateful attitudes penetrate into our hearts and minds. Proverbs 23:7 says "As he thinketh in his heart, so is he." Disciplined Bible study and prayer can change this pattern and you can learn to live a grateful life a contented life.



"Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ." 2 Corinthians 10:5 We must learn to cast down our ungodly and discouraging thought. We must imprison the unbiblical thought that are in our minds. We must be obedient and pleasing to Christ.



Philippians 4:8 & 9 will help us to direct our thought toward godliness. "Finally brethren, whatever things are true (real), whatever things are honest, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things lovely, whatever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, THINK ON THESE THINGS. Those things which you have both learned, and received, and heard, and see in me DO, and the God peace shall be with you."



Be encouraged, trust God in His Word. Don't keep struggling with past issues. Don't keep trying to guess the future. Don't keep trying to fix things happening today. God assures us throughout the Bible of His love, forgiveness, comfort, encouragement, and care. If you find yourself discontent and discouraged, stop and pray. Evaluate your situation and ask yourself if you are dwelling on unbiblical thoughts? Claim the promises in the Word . The author of our study encourages us to try a daily mental exercise in the Bible. Think on these truths as you find yourself thinking unbiblical thought:



Sunday - God is my protector Psalm 91:1,2

Monday - God always does what is right Genesis 18:25

Tuesday - God hears me and wants to help me Psalm 34.4

Wednesday - God is near me Psalm 139:7

Thursday - God has good things planned for His people (yes, even me) Jeremiah 29:11

Friday - God will not give up on me Philippians 1:6

Saturday - god will never give me more than I can bear I Corinthians 10:13



Start your own list of promises from God. Then claim them and stand on them.



A secret to living a life of contentment is giving thanks to God in everything. Have a grateful attitude in the good and bad times. Knowing God in His power is in control.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really need this Bible Study right now. I am really struggling with being content in my challenges in life right now. I have to work really hard on myself not letting the Devil depress me. I feel God put this Bible Study on your heart for ME. Thank you for listening to God. Blessings!

Mark and Laura said...

I really was encouraged by this weeks lesson. I really needed to be reminded to be thankful in all things. I have been finding myself complaining about circumstances or thinking on things that are not true instead of being content with all that God has done. This week I have tried to look at things differently. For example, we were running late to meet some people on Friday night and I started to get upset because I don't like to be late. Then I changed my thoughts to maybe God is allowing this to keep us from an accident or something else. We will never know why circumstances kept us from being on time but I know that God was in control of even that.-- Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.